High blood sugar occurs when your body can’t effectively transport sugar from blood into cells. When left unchecked, this can lead to diabetes.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, losing sleep, skipping breakfast, sunburn, dehydration, or artificial sweeteners can cause blood sugar instability.
5 easy ways to lower blood sugar
- Drink water. Staying hydrated can reduce blood sugar levels and help prevent diabetes.
2. Do yoga. According to a 2014 study, patients who did yoga regularly had a significant decrease in their blood glucose levels, so consider adding a few sun salutations to your week.
3. Eat fruits. A large 2013 study found that people who consumed whole fruits, especially blueberries, grapes, and apples, had significantly lower risks of developing type 2 diabetes.
4. Get enough sleep. Good sleep helps maintain blood sugar control and promote a healthy weight. Poor sleep can disrupt important metabolic hormones.
5. Yogurt. Eating plain yogurt daily may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Blueberries, oatmeal and nuts also help to lower blood sugar.
Semeco A. (2016). 15 ways to lower blood sugar levels naturally. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/15-ways-to-lower-blood-sugar#section3
Effects of Yogic Exercises on Life Stress and Blood Glucose Levels in Nursing Students. (2014). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4273078/
Huizen J. (2018). Which foods lower blood sugar? Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322861.php
Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/library/spotlights/blood-sugar.html
Petty A. (2019). Which foods lower blood sugar? Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322861.php